April 14, 2010

Music Videos of Eric Wareheim

I'm a big fan of adult-swim comedy show Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job but until recently didn't know that Eric Wareheim (of Tim and Eric) also directed music videos. Expecting to see similar low-production value, awkward (but hilarious), public television type works, as one finds on his show, I've been pleasantly surprised by the videos he creates.



Friends of mine are probably really sick of my posting this in different places, but I can't stop thinking about it. Wareheim manages to not only put together great videos, but also pick solid songs from awesome groups. The above video for "Keep it Going Louder" by Major Lazer was the first Wareheim video that I saw (intentionally, more on that later). I love his twist on the classic "party-video" by taking all of the booty-shaking and bare skin normally found in other videos and making it just slightly grotesque. The vast array of colors used in this clip also do a nice job of augmenting the various timbres of the dance-hall tune. For those more adventurous, check out his video for "Pon de Floor" by Major Lazer which is just a little too racy to post here.



I'm not a big fan of MGMT (I know, I'm the only one) but this video is just too great. Tim and Eric have always had a knack for finding interesting looking people (and by that I mean normal looking people) and I really appreciate that Wareheim has done this with children in this video. The kids aren't sexualized, or sanitized for the clip but are portrayed as young humans, which I find great. Plus the choreography is fantastic.



I think what both Eric Wareheim and Tim Heidecker do best is make us question our sets of esthetics. This video makes the otherwise attractive look completely disgusting, yet Wareheim doens't pass any judgement on it. He takes something normal and sexy, like kissing, and changes it to something...much less appealing, yet portrays it as run-of-the-mill. In both his videos and his show with Heidecker, the line between absurd and normal are constantly blurred, shedding light on our conceptions of conventions.



This is a newer video of Ben Folds' "You Don't Know Me" feat. Regina Spektor. Again, the preoccupation with interesting looking people and men in drag plays strongly in this clip (and appearances by Heidecker, Wareheim, and Josh Groban all add to the overall effect). The role reversal at the end is predictable enough, but the message given across is still fun and rewarding. Also, did I mention Josh Groban is in there?

Other videos by Wareheim that I can't gush enough about I also can't post on here (due to restrictions or NSFW blah blah):


"Polite Dance Song" by The Bird and the Bee (actually the first Wareheim video I saw but I had no idea who he was or what was going on. This is also my favorite video by him, making it a major bummer I can't post it.)

"We Are Water" by HEALTH is a much darker (both in subject matter and lack of color) video than his others, but is a great song and a cool concept. There's also a lot of (fake spurting) blood, so be warned.

That's it, I'll stop talking about him now. Oh yeah, I forgot that all of these videos also make me laugh and want to check out more music by the artists, which I think is probably the most important part.

1 comment:

  1. I too am not a fan of MGMT. The first video scares me. A lot. But I really like the song. I really enjoyed this post. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete