July 25, 2010

Reach Out (I'll Be There)

I'm a big fan of the song "Reach Out, I'll Be There" most famously performed by the Four Tops. One night while looking for a good video of the song on YouTube, I noticed that a whole heck of a lot of other people also like the song. So I guess it's time for an around-the-world exploration of "Reach Out"!




I never associated this song with war-protest, but ok!

The song is one Motown's defining tunes and is one of The Four Top's most famous recordings, along with other hits such as "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch". I like singer Levi Stubbs' gospel-style shouted vocals, and I'm always a sucker for pop-songs that spend most of their time in minor tonalities. 

But who cares about all that? What are the best international covers of this song? Well, unbeknownst to me, there are a lot of great renditions.



Rita Pavone

This is hands-down my favorite international version of "Gira, Gira". What is there not to love about this chick? Rita Pavone is cute, has a neat haircut, shouts like a punk-rock sailor, and sucks at lip-syncing. Also, that's approximately the same as how I dance. Plus it looks like she's on the set of "Trololo":

La la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaa!

OFF TO FRANCE:

Claude Francois

This guy's hair moves too much for me trust him at all. Also, this version just seems to be intense the entire song instead of having any ebb and flow. I have to admit though, now whenever I listen to the song I think of singing "J'attendrai" instead of the actual words of....um what were they again?

Holy Crap


I think this is in Italy. Whatever it is, I'm afraid it might be a little too erotic for this blog. I like how the song is sort of remixed, in that one part of it has a quick loop, and then everyone in the clip applauds. 

Speaking of erotic:


VIVA ESPANA!

These are just getting worse and worse. I'm pretty sure this is Spain, but it's sung in English and there's very little to tell me where it comes from. I mean...I could research it, but with this woman's out of tune singing and that pumping beat...my mind is someplace else. Wait, not she's speaking Spanish, so I'm pretty sure it's Spain. These are descending in quality very quickly. I better just cut to the chase:

Atta Boy Butch!

No comments:

Post a Comment