July 25, 2012

Eurotrip - Paris and Dijon July 25

17:35
The day isn't over yet but our time in Paris is. We got on our train about 40 minutes ago for the mustard-town of Dijon. The French countryside looks remarkably like rural Wisconsin. I mean, if I wasn't surrounded by French speaking passengers, and on a high speed train, and hadn't seen a pro-life or strip club billboard anywhere I'd swear I was on my way to Wasau.

I kind of love keeping time on the 24 hour clock. I mean, I won't do it when I get home, but there are certain psychological appeals to it. First of all, once it gets past about 4:00 pm, I can't instantly tell what time it is, so I kind of don't care what time it is. Also 23:00 doesn't feel late to me. This, however may have had something to do with jet lag finally kicking my ass last night. But it really didn't feel late. 0:00 however felt extremely late, mostly because my brain can't conceptually grasp what 0:00 means. Now that I think about it though, 0:00 makes a lot of sense. Let's adopt that please. It's like time just started over! And you don't have to worry about when the new day starts. The clock just resets itself. Bien!

Like I said, jet-lag was kind of a jerk to us so we slept in until 10:30 today and dragged ourselves to the Pompidou (sp?) for some modern art. I really can't think of a US president deciding to build a modern art museum. But if your name also has an insane hair-style that goes with it, I guess you know what to expect.

I loved the museum and could have spent a longer time there. I have basically no art history in my memory banks, but looking at the art that coincided with the lifetimes of some of my favorite composers really shed some light on their styles. I could hear the Prokofiev in a lot of the modernist painters and there was a whole room of painters who were essentially attempting to do what Schoenberg was trying to do in his music, by removing the artist from the art. I also just really liked the Picassos, Dali, and....some other people that I can't remember. I also liked this giant coral thing that you can sort of crawl under, so I took a picture from under it.


I also snapped a blurry photo of this crazy looking horse guy by artist Judit Reigl, who I never heard of before but I really liked all of the work of hers they had in the museum.



We're a little over halfway through our journey to Dijon right now and when we get there we'll probably just get into the hotel and find someplace nice to eat outside. Have I mentioned how much I love eating outside here? The food so far to be totally honest has not blown me out of the water but that's probably because we're eating cheaply.

Oh look! Suburbs!

Currently listening to: Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit.

21:56
Here's how I was going to start this post: "if Paris was perfectly captured by Woody Allen, then Dijon is perfectly captured by Chocolat." But that would not be entirely accurate. Because you see, Dijon doesn't really have a character. It's slower than Paris that's for sure, but not really the small-town experience that you might hope for when taking a train out of the city.

We got in right around dinner hour and checked into the "hotel de Paris" (picture below) which I promise is much nicer on the inside than it looks like on the outside. It even has free WiFi! We walked the town for awhile, but things seemed to be wrapping up for the night with many people lining up to take buses back into the city for the evening.



The city's older center district is quite charming as you can see below.


The streets are narrow and cobblestoned, and there are many open restaurants....which is basically like a tiny version of one neighborhood in Paris. We ate at a place called LO (i think that's what it was called) and then walked around the less quaint residential part of Dijon. We stumbled across a bigger fountain where from what I could observe in the residents, relationships go to begin, continue, and either die or reach a cold bitterness. The fountain was really nice though.


No comments:

Post a Comment