June 4, 2013

Van Cliburn Competition

It's mostly over but in case you weren't aware, the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition is underway in Fort Worth, Texas.

My piano crush: Vadym Kholodenko absolutely crushing the Liszt Transcendental Etudes


For the initiated, it's one of the most prestigious piano competitions in the world, only happens every four years, and all of the performances can be streamed online from their website. I was busy with my new album during the preliminary rounds but I've caught up during the semi-finals and it's been fantastic. I've been watching/listening to about 2-5 hours of live piano and chamber music every day. The quality of the playing is totally fantastic as is the production of the entire event.

The webcast is crystal clear and exquisitely shot (not just a "single-camera-in-the-back-of-the-hall" kind of stream) plus there are really fun interludes between the performances with some behind-the-scenes interviews and vignettes. Although pianists may not always be the most interesting people on earth I love the humanizing effect of these casual interviews.

After watching all of the performers in the semi-finals, my favorites have to be Ukranian Vadym Kholodenko, Chinese Fei-Fei Dong, and Japanese Tomoki Sakata. That's right, I've snubbed the Americans. Oh, and crazy-faces Italian Allesandro Deljavan played some kick-ass Soler sonatas.

Click the link below to check out the schedule and watch some concerts. Also, check out the sometimes hilarious twitter feed.

Van Cliburn Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment